Thursday, November 12, 2009

I'm hooked!

My husband took me steelhead fishing yesterday at the Glory Hole. I'd never been, but he invited me to go. So I went. The weather cooperated fairly well, it was pretty warm and only drizzled on us. We had a great day!

So there we was...my husband was explaining some of the finer techniques to fishing for steelhead. I threw out my first cast and worked on those very techniques he had just talked about. That's when I realized there is more to it than I first thought and at the rate I was headed, I'd be lucky to even get a bite. But I was okay with that...or at least I thought I'd be!

We had been fishing for a half hour or so, when I got my first bite. I set the hook, and before I knew it, I had a fight on the other end of the line. I yelled at my husband to let him know I thought I had a fish on. He came over and helped me bring it up on the bank. It was a 26 inch hatchery steelhead. That's when I knew I was hooked on steelhead fishing! We took some photos, took care of the fish, and went back to fishing. I put my next cast close to the same spot as the previous one and hooked a 23 inch hatchery fish. I figured I'd limit out in a hurry if I kept bringing them in like this!

However, it didn't work quite like that. It slowed a bit for me, but my husband starting bringing them in. He landed a nice 30ish inch wild steelhead first. I say 30ish because I got carried away and broke the line for him and the fish got away before we could actually measure it. Oops! Then he brought in 2 more wild fish, both smaller than the first. He was able to land a 23 inch hatchery fish finally. Made him a little happier that he was able to finally keep one.

By the time we left, my husband had caught 4 wild fish, 1 hatchery fish and lost his hook/line on another fish before he could bring it on the bank. I had caught 3 hatchery fish, 1 wild fish, and lost a hook/line on one, and lost my entire leader on another before I could get them on the bank. We were able to bring 4 home!

It was an awesome day! I'd go again if he'll have me!! =-)



1 comment: